Creating discount codes
If you charge for membership access and/or individual courses you may want to offer discount codes to certain learners/prospective learners or as part of your Marketing activity.
You can create discount codes for courses and discount codes for membership products if this latter feature is enabled on your site.
Note: Only the Company Admin has access to this feature.
Creating and Managing Discount Codes
Discount codes are created and managed from 'Settings' -> 'Discount Codes' in the Admin Dashboard.
How to create a discount code
To create a discount code simply click 'Add New' and complete the details in the form:
- Discount Code Name: This is the code that you will provide to your learners to obtain the membership access/course discount. Discount codes must be unique (i.e. you cannot create two discount codes with the same name).
- Customer Name: This is not a mandatory field but allows you to add some additional information for your own reference as to who you gave the discount code to if applicable.
- Applicable To: You can choose if the discount code is for membership access (products) or courses. Note that you will only see the 'Products' option if the Membership Products feature is enabled on your site.
- Applicable Products/Courses: If you selected 'Products' you will be able to select which Membership Products the discount should be applicable to. If you selected 'Courses' you can select which courses the discount code should be applicable to.
- 'All': If you choose ‘All’, the discount will work for all current and future membership products/courses on your site.
- 'Select Products/Courses': You can choose which of your membership products/courses the discount code will work against.
- Discount : You can either set a 'Percentage' (%) discount or a specific 'Amount' to be deducted from the membership/course price. Note that for membership products that charge learners monthly, the discount will apply to each monthly charge.
- Expiry Date: You can set the discount code to work for an unlimited period of time, or you can set an expiry date:
- 'Unlimited': The discount code will continue to work until you manually disable or delete it.
- 'Expiry Date': The code will expire automatically at midnight UK time on the specified date, after which time the code will no longer work. You can always disable or delete the code manually before this date if required.
- Maximum Usage: You can set the discount code to work an unlimited number of times, or specify the maximum number of times the code can be used:
- 'Unlimited': The code will work an unlimited number of times.
- 'Limited': You can set the total number of times the discount code can be used to purchase your course(s)/membership. For example, if you set this number to 10, the discount code will only allow 10 courses to be purchased using the discount code. It will then automatically be disabled.
- Comments: This is free text that you can use to keep track of how you are using your discount code.
Managing your Discount Codes
From the discount code table view you are able to:
- View and edit your discount codes. If you click on each discount code name in the table you can view the full details of the discount code you have created. You are able to edit the expiry date and maximum usage from this view as well.
- Disable/enable your discount codes. If you disable your code it will no longer work when learners enter the code to pay for membership access or courses. They will see a message saying the code is invalid.
- Delete your discount codes. You can only delete disabled codes so please ensure you disable the code first. Once deleted, learners will no longer be able to use the code to purchase membership access or courses.
- Keep track of how many times the discount code has been successfully used in a course purchase vs. the max usage you have set for that discount code (if you set a limit).
Note: Once a discount code is created, you are unable to edit the name, amount and what it applies to.